Advertisement

Monday 1 August 2016

RESTORAN BOSTON BARU 伸波士頓餐室 @ KLANG

Restoran Boston Baru in Klang is notorious for its long wait time. I have heard stories where customers had to wait 3 hours just to get their food. Because of that, I have been putting off plans to eat here.

Restoran Boston Baru Klang
Last weekend, I finally said ‘screw it’ and came here as early as 4.45pm to be one of the earliest customers. But what do you know, I still ended up being the second in line. If you are wondering, this photo was taken around 5pm – and the restaurant only opened it doors around 5.30pm. Imagine the queue by then.
Since we were the second group of customers, we got a table immediately and had our order taken at 5.45pm. Our first dish arrived about 30 minutes later. While waiting, I digged up some recent reviews of the restaurant and most of them weren’t too good. That got me kind of worried so I kept my expectations low.
Boston Baru Fried Hokkien Mee
From what I read from the reviews, the Fried Hokkien Mee (3 pax @ RM15) is the only dish which receives unanimous praise. I have to agree with them that it’s delicious, impressive even considering Boston Baru is not a Hokkien Mee restaurant. You won’t go wrong with this – highly recommended.
Boston Baru Moonlight Koay Teow
A friend of mine swears by the Moonlight Koay Teow (3 pax @ RM15) here. For me, it was above average and had peppery touch that sets it apart from the rest. Worth trying if you have the capacity to eat more. If not, just stick to the Hokkien Mee.
Boston Baru Steamed Lala
Xiong Tong Lala (Steamed Clams in Superior Soup) is THE dish that puts Boston Baru on the map so it has to be good. It’s available in two portion sizes: small or large. The 9 of us had 3 large plates to share at RM24 each.
Steamed Lala in Superior Soup
There were some negative reviews about the clams being not so fresh, muddy and all. I guess we had better luck because ours was as fresh as they could be.
Taste wise, it’s undoubtedly good I have had better ones even in Kepong eg. at Pak Thong. Moreover, strictly speaking, these are not lala but “sha bak” clams. At least at Pak Thong you get real lala and believe it or not, it does make a significant difference in both value and flavor.
Boston Steamed Snapper
Steamed Snapper with preserved radish @ RM65 – the fish was huge so the price was more than justified.
Boston Baru Nestum Prawns

Nestum Prawn
If there’s anything you need to know about Boston Baru, it’s their limited variations of dishes. Like two or three at most. When it comes to prawns, Nestum Prawn (large @ RM70) is their recommended cooking style.
So unless you insist on hearing what else they have to offer, I think they will just keep pushing the same dish. Why? Because they are able to save time by preparing the same dish in large quantities enough to serve multiple tables at once.
But just FYI, the prawns are also available in seafood hot plate. Having said that, the Nestum Prawn is great and they certainly don’t stinge on the amount of cereals used.
Boston Baru Kung Pao Sotong
For those who like Kung Pao, don’t miss out on their Kung Pao Squid @ RM50. It’s definitely one of the better ones out there.
Boston Baru Butter Corn Mantis Prawn
The only dish that let us down was the Butter Corn Mantis Shrimp @ RM26. While the golden and gooey butter sauce was unique and brilliantly executed, the deep-fried mantis shrimp had an unpleasant taste and smell of rancid oil.
Boston Baru Restaurant Klang
Overall, I am glad to say that the meal was satisfying and turned out better than I expected. So maybe it’s a good thing that I kept my expectations low after all. Also, I think I made the right decision to come early. Otherwise, I’d end up still waiting to be seated like one of the folks in the photo.

RESTORAN BOSTON BARU 伸波士頓餐室

Jalan Kapar, Kawasan 18, 41000 Klang
Tel: 012-905 3523
Business hours: 6pm – 1am, closed on Wednesdays

No comments:

Post a Comment