Advertisement

Monday 8 February 2016

Gear Review: JBL Synchros Reflect Headphones


As a gear reviewer and ardent defender of running with a soundtrack, I've tested dozens of headphones--enough to fill a desk drawer. I've triedearbuds, Yurbuds, over-ears, on-ears, and even bone-conducting models with varying degrees of success, but my quest for the perfect pair has continued apace.
At times I've questioned whether my litany of audio demands might be unreasonable, and whether I should just settle for any old set of 'phones that don't bounce out of my ears. After all, if the fit is decent, does it matter that the sound quality is a bit tinny? Or that the cord is so long ittrails 10 feet behind me like an out-of-shape training partner? Maybe a pressure headache is just the price you pay for the miracle of running with music. 
But the search for my personal holy grail headphones ends here, with a new pair I tested called JBL Synchros Reflect.
First off, the best part: They don't budge while I'm running, which is the most important quality in sports headphones as far as I'm concerned. I can't understate how huge this is for me and my possibly weirdly shaped ears. Most in-ear headphones bounce off my head after a few blocks, and there's nothing more distracting than battling escape-happy earbudswhen you'd rather be thinking about speed, form, food, or literally anything else.    
The JBL Synchros 'phones have comfortable Freebit ear tips in three interchangeable sizes, which keep them securely nestled in your ear under even the most rigorous of testing conditions (in my case, jump-roping).   
The cord is flat, highly reflective, and doesn't pull or stick to your skin like a previous pair that I tested. A removable extender on the cord allows you to wear the headphones connected to an armband at a shortened length or connected to your shorts at the extended length, so you never have to worry about loose, excess wire. There's a shirt clip to keep the cord secure and even a small inline volume control with a microphone that doesn't seem to add any weight.
The headphones themselves boast powerful audio quality, as well as one of my favorite new features (also seen on Yurbuds)--built-in magnets. When you need to be more alert to your surroundings, you can put your headphones on standby and lock them together behind your neck where they won't bounce around.
JBL Synchros Reflect Headphones also make a wireless Bluetooth version, but I didn't try that model. The version I tested is available fromJBL.com or Best Buy stores and retails for $59.95.

No comments:

Post a Comment